Thursday, July 1, 2021

Octopus Tree - Small Stone - 1

I started this blog in 2011 to participate in an international Small Stone writing challenge. A Small Stone is a brief, mindful observation that may take the form of poetry or journaling. Some of the blog friends I made through the years of writing Stones still use the practice to encourage daily introspection and creativity. 
For the month of July, I begin once again writing Small Stones. 
As is my practice, I often use a photo along with the stone.

A tree with octopus limbs has been my friend for the past 30 years. It's a landmark in the forest telling me I'm soon home. The state forest service begins a clearcut soon in the National Forest behind my house. The cut is necessary for wildfire prevention. My Octopus tree and most of the old growth trees in the 115 acres targeted are part of the planned cut. 


Do you know as I hug you goodbye that your long life of standing sentinel is soon ending?
Will your spirit remain as a guide on the trail?
I'll miss you dear Octopus Tree.
I know you'll remain in my heart.

Thank you for your guidance all these years.

small stone
(comments closed)