Friday, December 18, 2020

Long Relationships, Loving Memories

It's snowing hard as daylight turns to dusk.
Tomorrow will be a good day to ski on the forest trails.


The winter forest is magical.


Sometimes, sun filters through the trees.
 And sometimes, clouds cast shadows.


Stumps become snow sculptures.
I think of my friend when I pass this stump.
One summer 15 years ago, she sat here while her husband shaved her head.
Chemo caused her hair to fall out in clumps.
Thankfully, today she is well.

Do you see Waldo smiling outside as Chief frowns inside?

My former student brought us a gift yesterday.
(She left it on our porch because we're still isolating.)
The beautiful blooming orchid contrasts with the snow outside.
Many years ago, in the early 90's, I tutored her in English.
She passed the test for her GED (high school diploma).
Then, I continued tutoring her through her associate degree at the local college.
Formerly from El Salvador, she became a Naturalized citizen.
She asked Bob to give her away in marriage.
Now her daughter is in her first year of college.
We have come full circle.
Another generation studies and works hard to attain an education.

 
As darkness falls, I count my blessings.

I'm thankful for long, loving relationships.
Good memories.
Many Good Things.


(comments closed)