Saturday, March 17, 2012

Spring at High Altitude

Spring is elusive in the Central Rockies of Colorado. High altitude means winter white usually reigns until late May. However, in this low-snow year possibly we'll see bare earth a bit sooner. Traditionally, we get wet, heavy snow storms in March, April, and May sometimes changing to sleet, hail, or rain. So far, March's precipitation is minimal.
 There are no cold, white pillows on the evergreens. Snow on the high peaks glistens like merengue melting in the sunshine.
Seed pods left over from fall announce their prickly presence in early-morning's sepia glow.
Tiny pine trees sway unencumbered, casting graceful blue shadows.
 Creatures venture out of their high rise condos to sun themselves and search for food.
Bears awaken famished after their long slumber. Coyote, fox, moose, elk, and deer find secluded spots to give birth. Perhaps the female moose who frequents my back yard will soon bring a gangly baby to graze. The air warms and the light softens. Animals, humans, and finally plants begin to stir in spring's slow caress. We start waving goodbye to winter hoping it won't overstay its welcome. We know it's in no hurry to leave.

19 comments:

  1. this year, i think so many folks don't know how to plan for the seasons. i do hope yours comes in mildly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i do hope you get to see a baby moose. We used to see them when we spent time up country in Maine.

    It sounds like the strange weather is hitting us all. We may be in the 80's next week, so could end with green grass.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot to say how much I loved that first shot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sad to have such an off winter in your Rockies. Not to worry Barb. Something tells me it'll be back with a vengeance next year. Carol

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Like meringue melting in the sunshine." I have looked at mountains for years, knowing that they looked like something... AND that is it!! Oh thank-you... it is like I found something I have been looking for, for a very long time. I also like "prickly presence".

    For me, spring has sprung! The willow is getting ready to pop its puffs. xo teri

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just beautiful. I am stunned by the seed pod photo. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a sweet little shadow from the tree. I'm thinking it would be hard to have winter last until May... and then come back at the end of September. But your photos make it look just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here's hoping winter's not over yet.

    How did I miss your other blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm guessing you would have to really enjoy the cold to like living where you do. There is certainly much beauty to be had in the snow covered mountains.

    ReplyDelete
  10. One day I would love to have the camera and the talent to take photos like you do, they really are amazing. Oh and a baby moose, I just can't imagine! I so hope you manage a photo.
    Best wishes
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  11. What wonderful light in these shots. That's what I like most about spring - the soft golden light.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Spring with a lot of snow. Good pictures. I am seeing the same this week, I am in the alps.

    Greetings,
    Filip

    ReplyDelete
  13. Winter may linger in your part of the world but it certainly does so with beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You still have snow on the ground... We've lost our winter this weekend; most of the snow (except in shaded or deep woods areas) has melted. It's been 80 degrees the last two days! So maybe yours will leave in a hurry, too?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Our low snowfall has quickly melted. While it's a delight to feel the warmth of the sun, it has certainly been a strange winter in many parts of the world. Climate change certainly seems to be a reality.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous photos! I love your positive, inspiring posts! However, I am happy to see buds and daffodils in our corner of the world today. We did have a brief snow shower, but the sun won!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Once again, another beautiful glimpse into your world. A beautiful post Barb. x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful magical world you live in.... that tree shadow is so sharp, it is so amazingly bright where you live, even when it so amazingly cold! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderful photos. The mountain so majestic and the seed pod just beautiful. Nicely done.

    Your spring looks like ours usually appears. This year is so different. I'm already sunburnt and my son has a mosquito bite. It's been a strange year.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always one good thing for me!