Sunday, September 8, 2019

The Body's Resilience

On Wednesday, September 4, I started on my daily 5 mile walk.
Within 5 minutes of leaving my front door, I was lying on the road, stunned and bleeding.
I think my foot slipped off the edge of the road.
Whatever the cause, I was thrown hard onto asphalt.


Immediately, I could feel my body going into shock. 
A gash from my elbow toward my right wrist dripped blood.  
I was bleeding from the heels of both hands.
Pain radiated from my left wrist though I could wiggle my fingers.

I had to lie there a minute to take stock.
However, since I was on the road, I needed to rise.
Remember how I've been practicing getting up not using hands or arms?
Luckily, my body responded to that movement.

I tottered the few yards to my front door and called for Bob.
He helped me to the bathroom, where we assessed damage.

The cuts and abrasions really smarted.
They were covered in road dirt.
Bob tried oh so gently to clean them.
I nearly fainted, so we called a timeout to assess other damages.

My wrist hurt, but I could rotate it plus move the fingers.
I decided I needed to concentrate on cleaning the wounds.
I poured tea tree over them and scrubbed with a clean cloth.
I took many deep, wavering breaths but persevered.
The oil in the tea tree loosened the dirt.
I'm happy to say it actually burned less than cold water.
Plus, tea tree is a disinfectant.


By the next morning, my wrist was aching, swollen, and bruised.
We decided I needed an x-ray to make sure there wasn't a break.
I spent Thursday morning in the ER.

Good news and bad news:
No break but a sprain which requires a sturdy brace and weeks to heal.

Each day since, I wake with new aches and pains.
Nothing major is wrong except a 75 year old body complains.
Back, shoulder, ribs have added insult to injury.
I force my body upright and keep it moving.
Movement seems to help the hurt.

Today, I walked the trails but not 5 miles.
I was happy to be outside but glad to return home to rest.


I'm healing slowly but surely.
I've taken tumbles all my life on skis, on bikes, and on hiking trails.
But, at 75, falling takes a toll both emotionally and physically.
I'm careful, but accidents happen.
Now, I must be patient with healing.

My One Good Thing today is my body's resilience.
I'm also happy to have a helpful husband.

Photos are recent but have nothing to do with my fall.

Remember to look for One Good Thing!

(comments closed)