Thursday, December 28, 2017

Judge Not...

What does it mean to be non-judgemental?
The brain, left to its own devices, is judgemental. 
We judge good/bad, right/wrong, fair/unfair.  
We have biases and often act on them immediately.

Larimer Square, Denver - Christmas Eve.

For many years, I've practiced delaying opinion.
Careful listening and observation are positive practices.
In the moment, I try to see nuance.
I attempt to get a clear picture of reality with an awareness that lacks bias.
I try to understand others' ideas and behaviors rather than leap to preset judgements.
However, I often fail and fall back on my old ways of thinking/behaving.
It's definitely difficult to suspend judgement.

Bob outside Union Station, Denver

So, as I say goodbye to 2017, I'm determined to renew my efforts.
I'm not perfect, and I hope others won't judge me too harshly.
Likewise, I hope to moderate my rush to judgement.


I'd like my opinions to be formed with a contemplative mind.
In today's ever-changing world, I owe myself the ability to adapt.
Leaping to judgement stymies adaptation.
I don't want to remain mired in old thought processes and behaviors.

Antique sled on our front porch in Breckenridge - old even when I used it as a girl.

In 2018, I hope to 
pause more,
listen carefully,
see clearly,
and
slow my judgmental mind.

I hope for mindfulness and peace that calm the spirit.
I wish the same for you.

My first day of skiing in December 2017 - Peak 9, Breckenridge Ski Area


Happy New Year from Barb!

A fresh start is my One Good Thing today.

(comments closed)