Monday, January 15, 2018

The Purity of White

At last we got some snow.
Of course, we can always use more!
The forest behind our house looks pristine dressed in white.


 On touring skis, sounds are muted as I break trail:
branches click in the wind
skis sing through new powder
poles scratch into the surface
breath huffs and puffs into icy air
heart beats a regular rhythm

fox tracks form a necklace on the trail

Animal tracks etch the snow.
I read the marks and stay watchful.
Squirrel, rabbit, fox, coyote, porcupine, deer, and moose wander in search of food.
My tracks crisscross theirs to add another chapter to the story.


The hues of winter change with light and shadow.


I pass a tiny cabin in a meadow.
I'm alone with my thoughts and the purity of white.

mother and daughter trees


The beauty of winter is my One Good Thing today.

(comments closed)

I appreciate your e-mails of good wishes from my former post.
Your kindness makes me smile.